Today, Governor Sisolak issued the following statement in response to the White House denying the State’s request to have the federal government fully fund the Nevada National Guard’s COVID-19 response efforts through the end of the year.
“There is no rational justification for providing some states full federal funding for the Guard and denying a state like Nevada, which is still facing an increased transmission risk in our largest counties and devastating economic impacts as a result of this pandemic,” said Governor Sisolak. “The Nevada National Guard has led our State in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic and will be critical to the success of our recovery efforts going forward. I am disappointed in the President’s decision and urge him to reconsider based on Nevada’s current situation. As Governor, I will continue to advocate to bring in more federal funds to help Nevada’s ongoing response efforts.”
As a result of the President’s decision, Nevada will use Coronavirus Relief Funds to cover the State’s share of the cost burden to keep the Nevada National Guard activated through the end of December.
The COVID-19 Mitigation and Management Task Force, chaired by Nevada COVID-19 Response Director Caleb Cage, met with seven counties flagged last week for having an elevated risk of transmission of COVID-19. Based on data provided this morning by the Department of Health and Human Services, three counties are no longer meeting two of the three criteria for having an elevated risk of transmission. Lander, Lyon and Nye County have dropped off the list.
Since Nye County has fallen off of the list, the Task Force approved allowing bars in the City of Pahrump to reopen at midnight tonight, following the statewide mitigation and enforcement measures, which includes required face coverings for employees and customers and a 50 percent capacity limit.
Additionally, the Task Force took action on Washoe County’s plan to reopen bars, pubs, taverns, breweries, distilleries and wineries with additional restrictions in place, including increased enforcement measures throughout the county. This measure will go into place no later than 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 16 and will include input from the Task Force on increased enforcement and mitigation measures. At a minimum, the reopened businesses must follow statewide standards and enforcement measures, which includes required face coverings for employees and customers and a 50 percent capacity limit.
Full information from the meeting can be found HERE
White House rejects Nevada’s request for full federal funding of National Guard COVID-19 response; Sisolak says ‘no rational justification’ (NV Indy)
Cortez Masto: McConnell Bill Fails to Offer Key Support to Nevadans at a Time It’s Needed Most
Cortez Masto Applauds USDOT Grant of $23 Million for Pyramid Highway Project
Cortez Masto Applauds $1.8 Million for Mental Health Education in Nevada
During National Suicide Prevention Week, Rosen and Cramer Introduce Bipartisan Legislation to Address Veterans’ Mental Health Needs
Rep. Titus, House Colleagues Call for Ban on Explosive Nuclear Testing in Final NDAA
AMODEI THANKS TRUMP ADMINISTRATION FOR ITS COMMITMENT TO IMPROVING CD-2’S TRANSPORTATION & INFRASTRUCTURE
On World Suicide Prevention Day, Rep. Lee Urges Support for Bipartisan Suicide Prevention Bills
Agency and Local Government Updates
Attorney General Ford Joins the Fight Against Youth Suicide
Nevada Department of Education and Nevada Gold Mines Partner to Expand Access to High-Quality Digital Learning Content through Discovery Education
Dr. Kumud Acharya Appointed Permanent President of DRI
Articles of Interest
Bars to open in Washoe County, Pahrump while remaining dark in Clark, Elko counties (NV Indy)
State, not claimants, will bear the cost of special master’s fact-finding project on unemployment backlog (NV Indy)
Clark County School Board to consider renaming elementary school (LVRJ)